Ya know, sometimes the cycling industry is so filled with bullshit I inhale manure.
It’s easy to get hung up on that bullshit, and the bullshit drivers who want to kill us, and the bullshit talkers about bullshit who feed the bullshit (sometimes that’s us).
So, occasionally it’s important to step back and remember what gets me stoked. Why the cycling world is so much fucking cooler than anything else out there. That even when things are stupid and they suck, they are stupid and they suck in a world that is so rad we’re spoiled to death even when we’re dealing with the bullshit.
Here’s what’s getting me stoked.
1) I’ve got me a custom steel fat bike on the way. You know, cuz bikes. It’s from a rad builder that I’m going to tell you all about once the frame gets here. It’s also going to be 29+, because I wanna go on adventures.
2) I’ve got a kid on the way and a closing on a house in two weeks. You know what that means: I’ve got a garage. And garages mean home bike shops. And mini-fridges. And DC swag on the walls. That’s a lot of fuck yeah all at once.
3) I’ve had a whole summer full of this:
What’s not to be stoked about? If I’m lucky, I’ll be back in this neighborhood at the end of August for the Grand Junction Off Road; I might also be tearing up piss-smelling carpet from my new house instead, so we’ll see.
4) What’s the best thing about the end of mountain bike season? The start of Cyclocross season, of course. Here’s an article I wrote for Cyclocross Magazine last year (Click on the photo to read it):
Now, some folks don’t dig CX. Me, I think it’s rad. Because there’s two wheels. And mud. and a lot of people like you and me who love beer and bikes. Get out there this year. Do hand-ups. Girls, flash your boobs. Guys, flash your boobs.
5) This fucking guy:
6) Views like this:
7) Views like this:
8) Sexy 40 Hands:
9) So much radness happening in the cycling world, like
THIS. (If you’re a woman on a bike, check it. If you like women on bikes, check it.)
AND THIS. (If you live near Memphis, check it.)
AND THIS. (If you’re stoked that cycling infrastructure is actually a thing that can be achieved, check it. We ain’t there yet…)
10) Trails exist. That’s reason enough to be stoked.